Great Granny's Magnificent Strawberry Shortcake
Perfect for a celebration!
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter
1 egg, beaten
2/3 cup milk
3 to 4 cups strawberries, washed and sliced
1 cup low-fat whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Lightly coat 8 x 1½-inch round pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Sift flour, then sift together dry ingredients.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add egg and milk, stirring by hand just enough to moisten.
- Spread dough in pan, building up edges slightly.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until lightly brown. Remove cake from pan and cool on rack 5 minutes.
- Split into two layers and lift top off carefully.
- Alternate layers of cake, whipped cream and strawberries, ending with strawberries on top.
This recipe calls for sifted flour. This is a fun activity for kids to do, but not required if you don't have a sifter. Instead of sifting, stir the flour with a spoon and lightly scoop into a measuring cup. Level off with the straight edge of a knife for a good measure.