Apple Slice Pancakes
A Clever Way to Add Fruit!
Makes: 12 4-inch pancakes
1 Granny Smith apple
1¼ cups pancake mix
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 cup low-fat milk
- Lightly coat a griddle or skillet withcooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Peel, core, and thinly slice apple into rings.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ingredients for pancake batter. Stir until ingredients are evenly moist. (Small lumps are OK. Over-mixing makes pancakes tough.)
- For each pancake, place apple ring on griddle and pour about 1/4 cup batter over apple ring, starting in the center and covering apple.
- Cook until bubbles appear. Turn and cook other side until lightly brown.
- Serve smaller portions by using smaller bowls and plates.
- Offer water, 100% juice, or low-fat milk when kids are thirsty.
- Don’t offer sweets as rewards.
- Encourage kids to create new snacks with whole grains, dried fruit, and unsalted nuts or seeds.