Making a Difference with Walk Kansas
How does Walk Kansas work?
- Co-workers, family members, friends and neighbors form teams of 6 people who will track minutes of physical activity and food choices during the 8-week challenge.
- Each team identifies a goal, or challenge, it wants to reach. Three challenges are offered. Challenge 1 is the distance across the state, and would require each member to reach the minimum guidelines for physical activity, 150 minutes per week. To reach Challenge 2, the team must go across and back, or 5 hours per week for each participant. Challenge 3 takes the team 1200 miles around the perimeter of the state, a 6-hour-per-week goal for each person.
- Walking isn’t the only activity that counts. Read through your “Move More – Feel Better, Physical Activity Guide” to learn about moderate and vigorous activities that count, and strengthening exercises. Just a reminder – any activity you report should be performed for a minimum of 10 consecutive minutes.
- Participants record daily fruit and vegetable consumption.
- Team members report progress to their team captain each week. Team captain reports totals to local program each week.
- Friendly competition can be motivating so check team progress on this website.
How do I get involved?
It's as easy as 1-2-3!
Start a Team! Gather 6 people (including yourself) who will motivate and encourage each other, and decide who will serve as captain.
As a team, choose a name and decide which challenge your team will work toward.
Register for Walk Kansas! Registration and participant materials are available from your local Extension office. Check their website for more information. Most local programs like to have registration one week before Walk Kansas begins.
How will Walk Kansas motivate me?
You will receive a weekly newsletter with physical activity and health tips, healthy eating information, and a tasty recipe.
- Attend a kick-off and/or celebration event in your local community. Most counties offer incentives and prizes during and after the 8-week challenge.
- Check your team progress compared to others across the state. Friendly competition keeps the program fun and motivates you in reaching your goals.
- Let others know you are committed to living a healthy lifestyle by wearing a Walk Kansas t-shirt!
- Take advantage of the opportunity to learn more about programs and resources at your local Extension office.
Top of page