Now focus! Focus on variety, amount, and nutrition! That's because everything you eat and drink matters.
Choose a variety of foods and beverages from each food group to build healthy eating styles. Include choices from all the MyPlate food groups to meet your calorie and nutrient needs when planning or preparing meals and snacks.
- Everything you eat and drink matters!
- Follow the MyPlate building blocks below to build your healthy eating solutions.
- My Plate, My Wins
- Choose whole fruits. Whole fruits are more nutritious than 100% fruit juice.
- Fresh, frozen, dried and canned are healthful options.
- The daily amount needed depends on your age, sex, and activity level
- ChooseMyPlate - Fruit
- Choose any vegetable or 100% vegetable juice.
- Raw or cooked; fresh, frozen, canned, dehydrated; whole, cut, mashed. You pick!
- Five subgroups: dark-green vegetables, starchy vegetables, read and orange vegetables, beans and peas, and others.
- ChooseMyPlate - Vegetables
- Grain foods include bread, pasta, oatmeal, cereal, tortillas, and more!
- There are 2 subgroups: Whole grains and Refined grains
- At least half of all grain foods should be whole grains.
- ChooseMyPlate - Grains
- Choose from meat, poultry, seafood, beans and peas, eggs, soy products, nuts, and seeds.
- Select a variety, including at least 8 ounces of cooked seafood each week.
- Lean or low-fat protein foods are the best choice.
- ChooseMyPlate - Protein
- All fluid milk products and foods made from milk are in this group.
- Select low-fat or fat-free dairy foods.
- Calcium-fortified soymilk is included.
- ChooseMyPlate - Dairy
- Many foods naturally contain fat, sodium and sugars.
- Limit intake of foods have added fat, sodium and sugars.
- Don't forget to limit beverages with added sugars.
- ChooseMyPlate - Limit