Red Lentil Soup
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 carrots, chopped (1 cup)
1/2 cup chopped fresh or canned tomato
1 celery rib, chopped
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup dried red lentils
4 cups water
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Remember to wash your hands!
- Heat oil in a 4- to 5-quart heavy saucepan over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté onion, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, carrots, tomato, celery, cumin, and salt and sauté, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Add lentils, water, and broth and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, then season with salt and pepper.
- Lentils and split peas do not require soaking.
- Sort and remove debris, rinse, and boil lentils 15 to 20 minutes; split peas 30 minutes.
- For more flavor, use canned fire-roasted tomatoes or any seasoned tomato product.