1¾ cups skim milk
¼ cup water
¼ cup canola oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour (Can use white whole wheat)
2¼ teaspoons (1 pkg.) active dry yeast OR 1 tablespoon baking powder
Remember to Wash Your Hands!
- Combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir to combine ingredients.
- Combine milk, water and oil; heat to 120-130°F either in the microwave or on the stovetop. Use a thermometer to verify the temperature.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry mixture; stir by hand or blend on low speed with your mixer.
- Add the eggs and beat 2-3 minutes on medium speed.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate the batter for several hours or overnight if using yeast; use right away if using baking powder.
- To make waffles: preheat waffle iron. Remove batter from refrigerator and stir it down. (Batter should have a bubbly surface.)
- Pour the batter onto the waffle iron and close the iron. Bake according to your waffle iron instructions. Serve immediately with your favorite toppings.
Note: Do not use rapid rise yeast in this recipe!