Make It Fun!
- Music makes a strenuous activity seem easier and more enjoyable!
- Warm up, stretch and cool down to music that around 100 – 110 beats per minute (BPM).
- Strength exercises should be approximately 110 to 120 and endurance (aerobic) higher than 120 BPM.
- Determine the beats per minute to your favorite tune using a BPM calculator.
- A fitness buddy gives you that extra push.
- A recent study shows that people were five times more likely to exercise if their spouse did.
- Your fitness buddy could have two legs, four legs, or no legs at all!
Try a new activity
- Take classes or join group activities, such as Yoga, Pilates, Pound, a spin class, water exercise, belly dancing, kick boxing, just to name a few.
- Invite friends for a hike or bike ride on Saturday mornings.
- Prevent boredom – make it something you look forward to!
- Research suggests that taking exercise outdoors can decrease feelings of tension, anger and depression.
- Unplug from technology and take a hike!
Play, like a child
- Swing on a swing set to work your upper body; jump rope for your heart; play tag to burn up calories; play hopscotch to improve balance; or organize a ball game!
- The bottom line is, people of all ages benefit from unstructured play time.