Pepper Steak Stir Fry
3 bell peppers (any color), cut into 1/4" strips
3 carrots, diagonally sliced into 1/4" pieces
2 stalks celery, cut diagonally
1 small onion
3 scallions, sliced
1 lb. flank steak, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon minced garlic oil for stir-frying
1 recipe Stir-Fry Sauce
1 cup water
1½ tablespoons corn starch
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 teaspoon granules
1 teaspoon sugar or sugar substitute
Remember to Wash Your Hands!
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in frying pan or wok.
- Stir-fry peppers and carrots for 1-2 minutes.
- Add celery, onion and scallions and stir-fry an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Remove vegetable mixture from pan.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to frying pan/wok and stir-fry steak for 3-4 minutes.
- Return vegetable mixture to pan and add garlic, stirring until heated through.
- Add stir-fry sauce, stirring gently, until sauce has thickened.
- Serve with or over brown rice.
- Use a healthy oil - such as canola, vegetable or olive oil, or choose peanut oil which has a high smoking temperature.
- Stir-frying is a good way to add vegetables to your diet, and reduce serving sizes of meat or poultry. In most stir-fry recipes, you can reduce the amount of meat by ½ or use 2 ounces of meat or poultry per person.
- For additional flavor, add fresh ginger root or red pepper flakes.
- For a quicker version of this recipe, use 1 16 oz. package of frozen pepper stir-fry vegetables, and 1½ cups of whole baby carrots. You can also purchase steak already sliced for stir-fry.
- Serve with Couscous, instead of rice.